I don’t use my evening free-time wisely.
This leads onto the next point:
I need a dedicated sewing space!
Currently everything is stashed behind our sofa and I use the dining table to sew on. Having to faff around unpacking everything and set up my machine, re-pressing everything that has been sat stacked up behind the sofa, and rummaging around trying to find certain bits of equipment is a real pain in the posterior. Likewise having to clear it all up afterwards, it just takes up too much time. I need to be able to leave things mid-progress, and I need to be able to create a mess and leave it there. It’s just how I roll. This is the space I plan to utilise, it’s part of a spare room we have in our flat. Well it’s actually separate to our flat on the communal hallway but half of it is mine to use, lucky me.
As you can see the other half is used by my lovely man for man-things. Any advice on how to create a cheap partition would be fab!
Anyway those were my major obstructers of productivity. However there were some interesting positives I gleaned from this project. They were the following:
I work a lot better with small manageable goals.
I made the purses over a few evenings and gave myself a clear goal each time. In this case they were, cut out all the pieces and iron on the interfacing in evening one, sew them up in evening two and lastly glue the frames on in evening three. This was great as each task took 30 minutes to an hour to complete and it was easily manageable. Breaking down projects into smaller chunks really works for me.
Deadlines / timetables are great (if you make them realistic).
I gave myself too many things to do by Easter and had to drop a couple just because I ran out of time. However having a schedule to stick to gives me something to follow and keeps me focused, as I am [very] easily distracted.
Something else I really need to face up to is that I just don’t have as much free time as I’d like at the moment. At least till the end of June after my accountancy course is over I just can’t churn out projects on a weekly basis like many of the other bloggers out there. That’s not great news for my blog as I won’t have much to show over the next few months, but I will give myself a few smaller easier projects to keep things ticking over. Plus I plan to do a little makeover series of posts on my sewing space, as I make it workable and pretty, so that’ll be nice.
So overall my plan for improved productivity is as follows:
Sort out my sewing space!!
Don’t try and do more than I can manage right now
Give myself a "realistic" schedule for the projects I choose to start
Break down all my projects into little chunks, and a have a list on which I can tick off each one when complete
Thanks to Tilly for this great idea. I am enjoying reading everyone else’s findings and tips