Pages

Thursday 19 January 2012

Rayon seam binding


 I first heard of this stuff whilst reading Lauren's blog Lladybird.  She seems to use it a lot, and even has a tutorial on how to use it.  This stuff really appeals to me.  I like the look of bias bound seams, but double fold tape can be a bit bulky.  Also I hate hemming with a passion and a narrow hem practically kills me, I go nuts pressing the hem over twice, it’s such a pain in the posterior.  So using seam binding on the edge and only folding the seam once will give my hems a nice finish that is less bulky than bias binding, and will avoid some of the painful and painstaking hem pressing.

Look how thin this is!
It doesn't seem to be something widely available in the UK though.  So after scouring the Internet for a little while I found a UK based shop called Crafty Ribbons which sells hundreds of colours of the stuff at £1 for 5 meters.  They have an offer on as well, if buy 5 lots of 5 meters and get a 6th lot free.  So I stocked up with a nice selection of colours.

 The colours of the binding will give you some clue about the projects I am deciding on for The Plan 2012.

So what about other UK sewers, do you use this stuff, how do you get hold of it and what are your experiences with it?

8 comments:

  1. I do love this look for finishing seams, so thank you muchly for sharing a link to Crafty Ribbons! I can't believe how many colours the rayon binding comes in and what a bargain!!! Do you reckon you can use it to finish off necklines and armholes, so it can be seen on the right side of the garment too? That would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure to be honest, it's very ribbon like so may not work on the outside.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I found some seam binding in Hobbycraft (after seeing Lauren's beautiful seams too!) but it's quite thick, almost like webbing and looks a bit bulky. The rayon binding looks much lighter so I'll be taking advantage of their fab offer - probably buying similar colours to you too! Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i read somewhere that there's poly seam binding, which isnt as thin or stretchy as rayon binding. This was the only Englidh site that i could find that said it was rayon.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post. Very interesting and one of those gems I'll tuck into the corner of my mind .... Will be interesting to see how you get on too :-)
    It does look fabby inside, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - thanks for tracking this binding down. I also HATE hemming so this is a really great discovery, I just hope that the delivery to N.I. isn't extortionate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for tracking down a UK supplier! I'm off to make some purchases ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a feeling Rayon is the brand name or American name for something, like spandex is elastane (I have an H&M t-shirt which says different things on the US/GB fabric content). Not sure what though, helpful eh?

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...